[Dovecot] 1.0.alpha1: Namespaces

Andy Cravens acravens at uen.org
Tue Sep 6 20:21:37 EEST 2005

I need to do the same thing, emulate the hierarchy of folders.  However,
I do not completely understand the concept of namespaces.  I have read
the configuration file and the documentation on the dovecot web site and
I just don't get it.  Can someone explain it differently?

I already have dovecot running on a test server and do not have any
namespaces defined.  I am moving our user's mbox files to the new server
and converting to maildir.  Everything works fine except that I don't
know how to handle users who have mboxes in subfolders.  After reading
these recent messages on namespaces I've come to the conclusion I need
to emulate the directory structore which involves the implementation of
a namespace and defining a hierarchy separator.

In the example below by Steffen, they used : as the separator.  Other
examples I have seen use / as the separator.  Is one separator better
suited for a situation than another?

--
Andy