[Dovecot] Fatal: EOF while reading environment from master Error

Phil Bettinson phil.bettinson at llgc.org.uk
Thu Sep 1 14:56:11 EEST 2005

Hello all!

I guess it's a standard reason for joining a mailing list, but I have a
problem. For some reason, whenever I try to start dovecot, be it from
the xinet.d or from the commandline, I get this rather bizzare error. I
can't even work out what it means, so I can't even begin to debug it.

There is nothing extra in /var/log/messages, so I'm out of ideas. I've
tried it with the default config, as well as with a config that I
adjusted to fit the environment. I'm currently out of ideas. I did
notice that there is a brief thread on this in the mailing-list archive,
but it doesn't seem to point to a solution. Hopefully someone can help.

I'm running it with the command

/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login

I am using the 1.0.alpha1 version, running on RedHat AS 3.

thanks in advance.

Phil
System Administrator,
National Library of Wales.