[Dovecot] Inbox weirdness

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Thu Sep 1 17:04:07 EEST 2005

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
>
>> I recently had a system crash and my inbox became inaccessible via IMAP.
>>
>> ls -ld /var/spool/mail
>> drwxrwxr-x  2 root mail 4096 Sep  1 07:54 /var/spool/mail
>>
>> ls -l /var/spool/mail/ignacio
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>> -rw-rw----  1 ignacio mail 7222021 Sep  1 07:54 /var/spool/mail/ignacio
>
>> imap(ignacio): Error: open(/var/mail/ignacio.lock) failed: Permission
>> denied
>                             ^^^^^^^^^ Do you have a symlink /var/mail ->
> /var/spool/mail ?

Ah, yes, it's there.

ls -l /var/mail
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10 Jun 23 08:11 /var/mail -> spool/mail

> Did you forgot to adjust default_mail_env = ?

I didn't have a value in there before, but setting it to
"mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u" allowed it to show the inbox, so
obviously dovecot's detection broke somehow.

> Is dovecot running with group mail?

No, it's running as root.

I think I can take it from here, but if anyone has any ideas as to how to
fix the detection I'm willing to listen.

--
Thanks,
   Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams