[Dovecot] IMAP limitation

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Tue Nov 15 01:13:48 EET 2005

I was trying to delete a LOT of email messages in one shot from
Thunderbird.  I selected everything in a folder (>10,000) and then hit
DELETE.

I received an IMAP error.  It clearly implied a limitation to just how
many UIDS I can submit on an IMAP request at a time.

Is this a limitation of dovecot? (I'm assuming it is).

I can work around this, I think, because I haven't found a limitation to
retrieving a list of email message UIDS as yet.  I could thereby send
splices or chunks of that list of UIDS to delete.

I ran into this while trying to do a variety of obscene things in my
attempts to develop a web mail application.  Because of the number of
strange tests I have, I don't really "blame" anything since I'm not sure
that anyone really expects to delete 10,000 messages at one command.