[Dovecot] assertion problems w/ 1.0alpha4

Jeremy Brown jeremy at brownjava.org
Thu Nov 3 19:03:15 EET 2005

Hey list,

I have been using 0.99.14 for a while now but recently decided to try to
upgrade to 1.0alpha4 to get the latest and greatest.  I'm building from
source myself on a Slackware 10.0 machine.  Slackware ships with UW-IMAP
configured to keep your inbox in /var/spool/mail and your other folders
in ~/.  I've been using the same setup for dovecot so that the migration
is smooth...so my default_mail_env is set to:

default_mail_env = mbox:~/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

I'm able to connect to both pop and imap servers and authenticate
myself, but as soon as I attempt to get a listing of my emails my
dovecot setting crashes with the following in the mail logs:

Nov  3 10:52:40 shallowhal dovecot: imap(jeremy): file
mail-index-sync-ext.c: line 155 (get_ext_header): assertion failed:
(memcmp((char *)(ext_hdr + 1), ext->name, strlen(ext->name)) == 0)

I can trigger this over POP3 just by logging in, then issuing "USER
username", "PASS password", and then "LIST".

Anyone experienced anything like this before?  Any ideas on what might
be going on?  I can include more debug information (like my dovecot.conf
file) if it would help.

Jeremy