[Dovecot] Dovecot Sendmail Maildir

Remy Zandwijk remy.zandwijk at falw.vu.nl
Wed May 11 17:11:09 EEST 2005

>same across the board.  Does anyone here use sendmail + dovecot +
>maildir? if so what's the best way of going about this?

We're using Procmail as LDA. Emails are delivered in a 'hashed-mailspool'
fashion (e.g. /var/mail/r/remy/).

This is the build information of the procmail package:
---
PROCMAIL 3.22
=============

In order to addept Procmail to the hashed mailspool used in the FALW
email subsystem, some files have to be changed:

         Makefile:
         ---------

         Set 'BASENAME' to:              /opt/procmail

         config.h:
         ---------

         Set 'ETCRC' to:                 /etc/opt/procmail/procmailrc
         Set 'ETCRCS' to:                /etc/opt/procmail/procmailrcs/
         Set 'DEFlockext' to:            /procmail.lock

Now issue an 'make'. Procmail will be build. After the build, a file named
'autoconf.h' is created. This file must be altered:

         autoconf.h:
         -----------

         Change 'MAILSPOOLDIR' to:       /var/mailstore/

         Add these lines:                #define MAILSPOOLSUFFIX "/"
                                         #define MAILSPOOLHASH 1

Do another 'make'. Procmail will now be build the way we want to. All
files needed are in the 'new' subdirectory.
---

We build Procmail on Solaris 9 with gcc. Although the source code
says some things could be altered in source, this doesn't work for
us. The method above works.

-Remy