[Dovecot] Dovecot doesn't use vchkpw properly :(

Casey Allen Shobe lists at seattleserver.com
Thu Jun 30 20:49:12 EEST 2005

Hey all,

It seems that dovecot does NOT call vchkpw properly when using
vpopmail-style authentication, I can only guess that it reads the
vpasswd{,.cdb} files directly.  This is indicated by the syslog log
for the mail facitily which reads:

Jun 30 16:51:30 [vpopmail] vchkpw-smtp: (PLAIN) login success
blah at blah.com:24.17.153.137
Jun 30 17:16:25 [pop3-login] Login: blah at blah.com [24.17.153.137]
Jun 30 17:47:42 [imap-login] Login: blah at blah.com [216.57.201.58]

pop3-login and imap-login are dovecot processes - vchkpw is never
called or there would also be log entries for it.  I've verified
this with the vpopmail list, who agree that the problem lies within
dovecot.

This might not be quite so annoying, but we are using vpopmail
compiled with the --enable-learn-passwords option, which will
populate the password files with cleartext versions of the
passwords where they are missing.  Because of dovecot not calling
vchkpw, this doesn't work for POP3/IMAP logins, only SMTP (using
qmail-smtpd).  People don't send mail from every account they poll,
and we need to get all of the passwords in cleartext form so that
we can complete migration to a PostgreSQL password database which
multiple applications will use to authenticate.

Are there plans to make dovecot use vchkpw in the normal
checkpassword manner?  If not, I'd like to request it.  We will
probably switch back to qmail-pop3d and bincimap for the time being
to finish collecting passwords if we can't get a quick fix...I
think we can do that without much impact.

Cheers,
--
Casey Allen Shobe | http://casey.shobe.info
cshobe at seattleserver.com | cell 425-443-4653