[Dovecot] quetion about duplicate messages

Chris Wakelin c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
Tue Jun 28 11:41:58 EEST 2005

Different POP servers use different ways of generating UIDL values for
messages, which is what the client uses to decide whether it already has
a particular message. In version 1.0-tests/1.0-stable, Dovecot can
emulate many of them (but not Qpopper, which uses a MD5 hash of some of
the message headers). To emulate UW-IMAP set

pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv

in dovecot.conf, rather than the default %v.%u, which is what Cyrus uses
(see dovecot-example.conf).

If you're using Dovecot 0.99 or were using Qpopper (we're doing the
latter!) then you'll have to grin and bear it - it'll teach your users
not to abuse the POP protocol by leaving mail on the server - that's
what IMAP's for ;-)

Best Wishes,
Chris

--
Christopher Wakelin,                           c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
IT Services Centre, The University of Reading,  Tel: +44 (0)118 378 8439
Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 2AF, UK              Fax: +44 (0)118 975 3094