[Dovecot] Compressed maildir

Xavier Beaudouin kiwi at oav.net
Thu Jun 16 12:39:26 EEST 2005

Hi Curtis,

> I tried this... Solaris du doesn't appear to have --apparent-size..

FreeBSD also :-(

> I see your point, but my users have an unfortunate tendency to keep
> e-mails with
> attachments (no matter how big a stick I wield), so there would be a
> definite
> saving there.
>
> Since several of my users have over 1GB of mail ('top' user is now around
> 1.6GB), I think there is a potential to save considerable space.
>
> Besides... when was the last time you saw an e-mail below 512bytes?  There
> is
> _some_ saving to be made, if not a lot.  But a little saving over a few
> million
> e-mails?  Well, it all ads up.

Well i the "compressed" maildir system can add a check to see if file is >
to FS block size... then try to compress it..

Anyway this can be a very good system for archiving purposes...

And IMHO I think it should be a good idea to add/merge the patch into main
stream code (with a flag to allow compressed maildir)...

/Xavier