[Dovecot] mail directory in user home?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jun 14 12:19:51 EEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 16:23 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> Hey:
>
> When I run dovecot and retrieve any mail for a user, a mail directory
> is created in the users home.  It has a subdirectory Inbox.  No mail
> goes there however, it all goes to /var/spool/username.  What is that
> directory for and how do I get it to not make it or can I?  I am only
> using POP3.

If you mean ~/mail/.imap/INBOX/ directory, Dovecot's index files are
stored in there. It should create no other Inbox directory. You could
disable indexes by adding :INBOX=MEMORY to default_mail_env setting, but
it may not be a very good idea from performance point of view. See also
bottom of http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation