[Dovecot] Quota

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Fri Jun 10 03:10:30 EEST 2005

Josh Kelley wrote:
> We're getting ready to set up a new mail server running dovecot 0.99.11
> (CentOS 4) with maildir and filesystem quotas.  I saw on the Dovecot web
> site that "hard filesystem quota can also be problematic."  How
> problematic?  What problems might we anticipate?

If you're about to set up, don't use such an old version.  There were a LOT of
fixes between 0.99.11 and 0.99.14 (the latest 0.99 release), many of which are
quite important.

I have quotas enabled on my system (running 0.99.14... 1.0 is missing _one_
feature for me to migrate) and the only problem I see is that users don't get
new mail delivered when they exceed their quota.

However, other people have noticed that users can not log in, and this is
because Dovecot can't modify/extend its control files due to quota limits.  As
was just this week pointed out on the mailing list, you can add a CONTROL path
to the mail env to specify where Dovecot is to create these files, thus avoiding
the issue.

 From what I recall, aside from the actual mail folder, you can additionally
specify:
INBOX= where to find the inbox (not sure if this is in 0.99)
INDEX= where to create the indexes
CONTROL= where to create other Dovecot control files

Check out http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/MailLocation for some more details,
or search this mailing list.

--
Curtis Maloney