[Dovecot] Shared maildir problem: IMAP list archives

Gergely Kis gergely.kis at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 20:27:31 EEST 2005

Hello,

I try to create IMAP archives for our mailing lists (runned by
mailman). I run dovecot 1.0-stable from a recent CVS checkout. The
obvious version with mboxes works without problems. However, when I
try to use maildir storage I run into the following problem:
-a message is sent to the list
-mailman calls the external archiver (maildrop) which delivers the
mail to a normal mbox (for cross-check) and a maildir.
-in the client (Outlook 2003) the mail in the mbox shows up
immediately. However the mail in the maildir only shows up in the
client after an indefinite time (2 minutes, 10 minutes...etc.).

As the thing works with mbox I would rule out Outlook IMAP as a
problem. Is there anything I could try to set in the dovecot
configuration?

I already did the following adjustments:
-enabled outlook workaround
-changed mail_check_idle_interval to 1

Do you have any idea what could be the problem? Should I start
debugging the code, or am I just missing something?

Thanks,
Gergely

PS: I would like to use maildir because it is much easier to backup.
Mboxes are a pain in the ass in this respect. The only backup solution
I could find was rdiff-backup, which doesn't integrate well with
ordinary backup solutions like Bacula.