[Dovecot] Dovecot development status v1.0

Alan Premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Mon Jun 6 13:42:15 EEST 2005

Cor Bosman wrote:
>>I've been implementing this slowly over the last few months. Takes
>>annoyingly long (it's boring), but it's getting there. In the mean time
>>IMAP and POP3 code in 1.0-tests keep stabilizing nicely. So after this
>>one large change things may be a bit unstable for a while, but after
>>that 1.0 should be very near :)
>

> I personally think one small issue in the current dovecot is kind of a
> showstopper. If a user exceeded their quota, dovecot will just plain not
> work at all. So a user can also not delete their email to remedy the
> situation.
>
> This is what happens when a customer (without previously having used
> dovecot) connects:
>
> A002 SELECT "INBOX"
> A002 NO Internal error occured. Refer to server log for more information. [2005-
> 05-31 17:56:36]
>
> The internal error is a 'quota exceeded'.
>
> I think at the very minimum someone should be able to delete email...
>
> Regards,
>
> Cor

Cor,

  I agree with you.  I've resorted to having a script run to check
quotas twice a day and sending notifications (I have a fairly large
difference in soft and hard limits set) to each user that they are over
their quota and what remaining grace time they have so they can remove
mail from the server as appropriate.

On occassion I have to temporarily increase a user's quota just to allow
  them to connect and remove their email.

The problem as I see it, however, isn't specifically a Dovecot issue.
the quotas are filesystem level quotas, and in order to move/delete/etc
mail, the user would have to have persmissions to write files on the
filesystem (which it does not).  Obviously having the imap/pop3 portions
of dovecot running as root is not an option.

It would be nice if dovecot had an application level quota facility, but
I think it's been made pretty clear that it's not a priority feature at
this time (correct me if i'm wrong, anybody)

Alan