[Dovecot] Dovecot development status v1.0

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 6 01:36:10 EEST 2005

On 4.6.2005, at 03:27, Raymond Lillard wrote:

> I would like an estimate of where you are on the path to a
> released (dovecot-1.0).  I have read your statement regarding
> the -stable series and am wondering when we see the first
> feature complete -beta of v1.0?

There are just two missing features:

1. Keyword support for maildir. Shouldn't take too long to code, but I
no-one's really asked for it and there are still other things to do.

2. Master process split into 3 processes: config, log and master. And
some other major changes to how all Dovecot's processes work together
and how configuration is read, parsed and verified. This simplifies
things a lot and makes it possible to do some nice things.

Some things this change makes possible are:
  - Dovecot LDA won't need a separate config file anymore
  - Config file process can be replaced, for example with one that reads
it from SQL database
  - Makes it much more easier to write support for having different
configuration based on user, domain, ip-block or whatever
  - Master process won't kill itself anymore if some of its child
processes die while starting. Instead it just won't try to start them
for next 5 minutes
  - Just in general it makes everything so much simpler and prettier :)

I've been implementing this slowly over the last few months. Takes
annoyingly long (it's boring), but it's getting there. In the mean time
IMAP and POP3 code in 1.0-tests keep stabilizing nicely. So after this
one large change things may be a bit unstable for a while, but after
that 1.0 should be very near :)