[Dovecot] Mboxes and maildirs (was: dovecot Digest, Vol 26, Issue 10)

Claudio Succa claudio.succa.ml at pertel.it
Mon Jun 6 17:52:56 EEST 2005

15:57, lunedì 6 giugno 2005 - Paul scrive:
|>   Claudio Succa wrote:
|>   > I succesfully configured dovecot-1.0test68 so that the same user can
|>   > have both a Mailbox and a Maildir and can access it by pop3, pop3s,
|>   > imap and imaps protocols with the same password. I have not very large
|>   > acconts (26 users for a total of 1.2 GBytes) but it is regularly
|>   > running since the start of May.
|>   >
|>   > If that is the problem I will be glad to post the details about my
|>   > configuration; sorry for annoing instead.
|>
|>   I would like those details.
|>
|>    	Paul

The O.S. is Linux Debian/woody running on a diskless i386 machine.
The MTA is Exim which is running as mail.mail.
The Mailboxes are, as per default, under /var/mail.
The Maildirs are under /var/mail/maildirs owned by mail.mail with permission
0700.

/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf (items differing from default):
-----------------------
protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s
disable_plaintext_auth = no
log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
login_dir = /var/run/dovecot-login
login_chroot = yes
first_valid_uid = 8
last_valid_uid = 8
mail_extra_groups = mail

# map/imaps
namespace private {
    separator = /
    prefix =
    location =
maildir:/var/mail/maildirs/%u:INDEX=/var/mail/maildirs/%u/indexes:INBOX=/var/mail/maildirs/%u/.INBOX
    inbox = yes
    hidden = no
}

# pop3/pop3s
namespace private {
    separator = /
    prefix = pop3/
    location =
mbox:/var/mail/%u:MAIL=/var/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/mail/maildirs/%u/indexes:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
    inbox = no
    hidden = yes
}

auth default {
  mechanisms = plain
  passdb passwd-file {
    args = /etc/dovecot/account
  }
  userdb static {
	# uid=8=mail, gid=8=mail
    args = uid=8 gid=8 home=/var/mail/maildirs/%u MAIL=/var/mail/%u
  }
}
-----------------------

/etc/dovecot/account:
-----------------------
angela:{PLAIN}password1
dario:{PLAIN}password2

/etc/aliases (to let exim delivering to maildir for some users only):
dario:                  /var/mail/maildirs/dario/.INBOX/

Best regards,
Claudio

--
Claudio Succa