[Dovecot] mbox slowness in dovecot-1.0-test61

Todd Burroughs todd at hostopia.com
Thu Jan 27 00:56:06 EET 2005

Hi,

We're trying out Dovecot to see if it's a good replacement for UW-imapd.
It seems to be very slow in opening an mbox file, even after it's been
indexed.  (I mean way slower than UW)

Here's some info on the system:
Dovecot-1.0-test61
SuSE 8.1, Linux kernel 2.4
Using NFS to access mail.

I've tried turning off mmap, using dotlocking, using fcntl locking
(lockd, etc. are running), mbox_dirty_syncs and mbox_very_dirty_syncs.
Also tried putting the cache files on local disk.

Compile options where basically default.

I'm accessing it with pine, using several filters which tend to do
SEARCH commands.

Has anyone come across this? Maybe I'm missing something obvious???

Thanks,

Todd Burroughs - Hostopia
todd at hostopia.com