[Dovecot] Evolution Slowness Fix

Michael David Joy mdjoy at phy.olemiss.edu
Fri Jan 21 23:19:25 EET 2005

Well, I seem to have tracked down what's going on with Evolution and
Dovecot.

It seems that Evolution has defaulted to checked for spam server side
using Spamd on Fedora Core 3 without downloading the mail. It seems that
spamd is the culprit in all this as it's trying to analyze pop3 mail
without simply downloading all the new mail.

I turned off the spam checking option in evolution and the crawling
(read 5-10 min) email downloads stopped. I guess I should have noticed
that this happened when I upgraded from Fedora Core 2 to 3, but we
upgraded dovecot around the same time.

While it still shouldn't be taking 10 min to download email (1 min a
mail), at least I know what's going on now.

Michael