[Dovecot] authenticate authenticated users

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at gadot.fdns.net
Tue Jan 4 21:52:11 EET 2005

Hi

I'm using dovecot on a LAN server. I sometimes read mail from the server
itself locally with mutt and sometimes remotely with mutt or mozilla .

I would like to avoid typing my password whenever necessary but without
writing a plain-text equivalent copy of it locally.

It feels quite silly to have to type the password locally becase the
imapd does not know that the process is indeed a process of the user
tzafrir. It has all the information it neeeds to check that.

wu-imapd has something called "pre-authentication": the imapd is run by
the user unpriviliged to access mail in the user's home directory. As a
bonus this works quite nicely with ssh public key authentication. I know
that at least mutt and pine support running a custom command for
creating an imap connection. But then again, wu-imapd is built quite,
well, differently.

Any ideas?

--
Tzafrir