[Dovecot] Another "Too many files open" post

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Wed Dec 21 15:29:23 EET 2005

Andy,
    This sounds like a kernel parameter issue, not a dovecot.conf
twiddle.  My system supports 3000 users, and "ulimit -a" has no
mention of "open files" at all.  With maildir format, you would
have a lot of open files (I use mbox).

My /etc/system has the following additions, which I put in when
I first started using alpha3:

* double file descriptor limits for dovecot
set rlim_fd_cur = 65536
set rlim_fd_max = 131072

I don't have any ulimit or plimit twiddles in my startup script, as
others have suggested.  Per their advice, use plimit or adb to
adjust things until you can change /etc/system and reboot.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College