[Dovecot] 1.0alpha5: fcntl() locking problem

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Wed Dec 14 23:20:32 EET 2005

Hi,

My setup: Solaris 9, /var/mail is NFS mounted from another
Solaris 9 box, home directories and dovecot index stuff is
on local ufs filesystems.  I upgraded from alpha4 to a5 about
36 hours ago.  Dovecot is configured like so during the build:

VERSION=1.0.alpha5
CC=gcc CFLAGS="-g -O" CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/openssl/include LDFLAGS=-L/opt/openssl/lib \
./configure --prefix=/opt/dovecot.$VERSION --with-ssl=openssl \
--with-ssldir=/opt/openssl/ssl  > configure.out

This afternoon dovecot basically locked up where a lot of
people (including me) were getting:

imap(user): fcntl() failed with mbox file /var/mail/user: No record locks available

for syslog messages, and their mailbox operations would fail.
In my case pine just closed the mailbox with an internal error.

I did a quick fix by stopping dovecot, killing all dovecot processes,
killing /usr/lib/nfs/lockd on the dovecot server, and restarting
lockd.

Ideas?  Suggestions?

Jeff Earickson
Colby College