[Dovecot] Best way to upgrade from 1.0a4 to 1.0a5

Andy Cravens acravens at uen.org
Wed Dec 14 18:14:50 EET 2005

Cliff...  you need to specify the install directory when you configure.
I would recommend including the version number in the directory name to
make it easier to keep track of versions.  I also place the config file
in a "shared" directory like /etc so I can use the same config file for
any version.  Again, you have to make sure there are no config
incompatabilities between versions before you switch.   Here's what I
did on a Solaris host but you should be able to do this on Fedora.
Common file locations may be different on Linux vs. Solaris hosts but
the idea is the same.

Example installing under /opt
1) ./configure --prefix=/opt/dovecot-1.0.a5 --sysconfdir=/etc (add other
options here as needed for your install)
2) make
3) make install
4) cd /opt
5) ln -s dovecot-1.0a5 dovecot
6) edit your start/stop scripts to look at /opt/dovecot and NOT
/opt/dovecot-1.0a5

Then, to change versions you just do:
1) cp /etc/dovecot.conf /etc/dovecot.conf.backup  (backup the conf file)
2) cd /opt
3) rm dovecot
4) ln -s dovecot-1.0.a6 dovecot  (notice I put aplha6 only as an example)
5) /etc/init.d/dovecot restart  (Restart script would be different on linux)

The advantage to doing it this way is that you have a complete
installation of each version.  The only thing I change between versions
is the symbolic link /opt/dovecot.  Once I'm sure I won't be going back
to the old version I will delete the old directory.