[Dovecot] 1.0alpha5 released

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Wed Dec 14 16:59:29 EET 2005

Jeroen Scheerder wrote:
> With a few thousand users, I find that only a relatively small number of
> them has personalized procmail filtering set up.  Still, that
> "relatively small number" may amount to a hundred procmailrc files or
> so.  The users that wrote up a filter for themselves typically are power
> users, and their procmail recipes can be involved, so say the least.

There is a flip side to that argument: procmail has a fairly high
learning curve, because the "recipes" are actually a terse programming
language.  Even though procmail has been around for a long time, there
are no decent [web] editors for recipes (yes, there are some, but not
standalone), so very few ordinary users take advantage of them.

The whole point of SIEVE was that it was a [mostly] capable, easily
scripted language that *ordinary* users could employ.  Asking your power
users to rewrite their procmail recipes in SIEVE, so that a much more
significant percentage of your entire user base could have the ability
to use server side filtering, it entirely reasonable, IMNSHO.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group