[Dovecot] 1.0-alpha5 and Plugins

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Dec 12 19:54:12 EET 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 11:27 +0100, Dominik Saar wrote:
> Hi girls,
>
> trying to use the quota and trash plugins with dovecot-1.0-alpha5, but
> becomes:
>
> libquota_plugin.so: undefined symbol: dict_transaction_commit
> libimap_quota_plugin.so: undefined symbol: quota
> libtrash_plugin.so: undefined symbol: quota

Like I said in alpha5 announcement, I hadn't had time to test them at
all yet. One problem with this is that I need to add some kind of
dependencies so that quota plugin gets loaded before imap_quota and
trash plugins.

Maybe it's good enough to allow plugins to have <number>_ prefix in the
filename and the plugins are loaded in that order? Although that's bit
annoying.

Lazy symbol resolving would fix it too, but probably not a good idea to
use it.

Yet another way would be trying to load them in different orders until
one succeeds. But that's a waste of CPU time.

Another thing I hadn't thought of was how to link libdict. Using sql
backend would require linking all SQL libraries with imap and lda
binaries, and that's kind of useless for most people.. Maybe I'll just
do the separate dict-server binary and link the non-internal dict
backends only to it, and if someone wants something else they can play
with the makefiles and adding some dict_register_class() calls.