[Dovecot] Dovecot.conf

Nicholas Young nich at aurema.com
Wed Dec 7 02:41:27 EET 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 09:17:31PM -0200, Clovis Tristão wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am mounting a server of email with the Dovecot as MUA,  i would like
> to restrict the access to imap and ipop to one determined range of IP.
> As I configure this in dovecot.conf, I did not understand the
> functioning of listen = * or [: ]
> Thanks a lot,
> Clovis
> --
> Clóvis Tristão
> Seja Legal, use GNU/Linux

The listen directive is for what IP addresses on the dovecot server to
listen for requests from, not what host addresses to accept. This would
only really be useful for multihomed machines for interesting firewall
configuration with redirects.

You will be better off using pf or iptables, depending on OS, to
restrict access to the server from a set IP address block.

--
Nich