[Dovecot] Struggling with namespaces...

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 6 20:14:46 EET 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 09:58 +0000, Kev Latimer wrote:
> Am I missing the point of namespaces or have I failed to create
> something in the folders to get them to play?  I read something about a
> dovecot-shared file but I think this is a 0.99 thing, although I tried
> creating the file with the permissions I wanted applied to the folder
> and it didn't do anything...
>
> I did notice that when the folders are created, they are created owned
> by the first user logged in.  I have tried chmod'ing them to 777 to see
> if it makes a difference, but alas, no.

dovecot-shared file is required in shared folders so that the created
files/dirs aren't 0700 by the user creating them.

> namespace public {
>     separator = /
>     prefix = announcements/
>     location = maildir:/var/mail/announcements/Maildir
> }
>
> namespace shared {
>     separator = /
>     prefix = archives/
>     location = maildir:/var/mail/archives/Maildir
> }

Both should probably be namespace public, since "shared" is really meant
for mailboxes that point to normal users' shared mailboxes. Other than
that, I'd think those should work as long as the users have permissions
to access them.

> I'm sure I'm just being picky, but a better explanation of namespaces in
> the docs might be in order, maybe with some examples.  If I get this
> sussed out, I'll put one in the wiki ;)

http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/SharedFolders mentions the
dovecot-shared file at least.. :)