[Dovecot] Tools to analyze status/stats?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Tue Dec 6 00:04:24 EET 2005

wolff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently installed dovecot on a server running Debian.
>
> I only have 10 users, but we probably have 6Gig of email between us.

We have only about 20 users, and store around 23 to 25G of mail.  And that's
mostly because I was tyrannical about people keeping their mailboxes lean until
we got a new HDD :)

> Things were working flawlessly for a couple of weeks, and I'm still getting
> email, but the last few days we are getting fewer emails that we typically
> do.
> So although things seem to be working well, everyone is suspicious something
> is wrong due to the lack of email volume.
>
> Is there a size limit that dovecot can manage?

That's mostly dependent on your file system, since you're running Maildir.  The
limits will be on "messages per folder" and "single file size", both of which
you are unlikely to have reached.

> Are there any admin tools to get status messages for dovecot?

No, but that's not a bad idea.  What sort of features would you be looking for?

> Are there any reporting tools to show how many messages are
> processed/managed by dovecot?

Well, there are a few options and patches that make it easier to see how many
messages people are reading with Dovecot... but since it's the _ingress_ of mail
you're suspecting, I'd be looking at your MTA logs (
sendmail/postfix/qmail/exim/whatever ) -- if the MTA isn't seeing the mail,
there's no way Dovecot can, either.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net