[Dovecot] Blank lines in mailboxes

Frode Nordahl frode at nordahl.net
Sat Apr 30 19:39:02 EEST 2005

On Apr 28, 2005, at 15:14, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:38 AM -0700 Kenneth Porter
> <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:
>
>> The one time I've encountered corruption, the problem was a long
>> string
>> of nulls at the top, not blank lines.
>
> Second time this happened, last night. User's "Trash" folder had a
> string of 15174 nul's at the top. Using Mozilla 1.8b on Win2kSP4
> against dovecot-0.99.13-4.FC2.

Is the Folder accessed by dovecod via NFS?

If that is the case, this bug might be caused by the NFS client caching
filesystem metadata.

For example, if dovecot thinks it is opening a 1200 byte file (by
believing stat(2) to give correct info), while the file on the NFS
server actually is 1800 bytes, strange things might happen, depending
on how the different info from stat(2) and actually reading from the
file is used / handled.

It might help adjusting the mount options (actimeo?).

Regards,
Frode Nordahl