[Dovecot] docecot and procmail?

Todd Burroughs todd at hostopia.com
Wed Apr 27 06:15:48 EEST 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> Is dovecot still considered unreliable when combined with NFS?

I've been using the test releases and lately the current CVS release
over NFS.  We're using procmail to deliver mail and dovecot as the imap
server.  Imap access is sometimes through UW-imap on the same mailboxes.
We keep the index files on the NFS server and are using mbox format.

I am only running this on one server at this point, so you could see
other problems if it is run on multiple servers.  Procmail is run on
several servers.

We're probably testing around 50 mailboxes, some quite large.  I haven't
seen any corruption of the mboxes and some of them get hit pretty hard.

>From my experience, I wouldn't call it "unreliable".

I have this setting in the config: mmap_disable = yes
I haven't tried using mmap yet...

The server is Linux, kernel 2.6.x and the NFS server is a NetApp.
Make sure that NFS locking is working.

Todd