[Dovecot] Dovecot-1.0-test32 fails with assertion

Wouter Van Hemel wouter-dovecot at fort-knox.rave.org
Sat Sep 11 20:20:53 EEST 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, dovecot wrote:

> Hello,
>
> dovecot-1.0-test32 continuously fails on one of our customers mboxes
> with the following error:
>
> Sep 11 16:27:15 web dovecot: POP3(xxxxxxxxxxxxx.de1): file
> mbox-sync-rewrite.c: line 360 (mbox_sync_read_and_move): assertion
> failed: (need_space == -mails[idx].space)
>
> About 200 other mboxes are working perfectly on the same server. Where
> should I start looking for the cause of this?

I've had a similar error at the end of July, it was fixed in -test31. It
had something to do with a situation in which some imap-specific headers
were already present (like when you used to run another imap daemon
before) but with different record lengths. You can compare the header
fields in those mailboxes, if it's pretty much the same problem, you
should notice a difference between those that work and those that don't.

If it's the same kind of bug, you can get around it by removing any
imap/pop3 specific headers (with something like:

   egrep -v '^Header1: |^Header2: |^Etc: ' mailbox > newmailbox

... if you make sure these fields are not in bodies).

But please don't delete the originals before the problem is analysed.