[Dovecot] Comments on planned migration to Dovecot

Rory Campbell-Lange rory at campbell-lange.net
Tue Sep 7 19:45:46 EEST 2004

Our office of about 100 users is presently running its mail through an
Exchange 5.5 Server. The Exchange server is protected by Linux server
pass-through server running Exim4.

We intend to move all of our mail and directory services to open source
software, probably Exim4, Dovecot and OpenLDAP.

We have a mixture of mail clients. These include Mac OS9 Entourage
(about 30%), OSX Entourage (20%) and Apple Mail (50%). About 30
individuals also look in to their mailboxes using squirrelmail.

Each user is permitted a mailbox of no more than 20MB in size. Project
mailboxes may rise to 200MB, however, with up to 5 simultaneous users
connection to each project mailbox.

I would be grateful for comments on the suitability of deploying Dovecot
in this production environment. I already use Dovecot for a small number
of users in a different environment (Mac Eudora, XP Outlook,
Squirrelmail) and it appears to work without fault.

Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange
<rory at campbell-lange.net>