[Dovecot] index files

Jonathan Salomon jsalomon at science.uva.nl
Fri Oct 22 17:07:37 EEST 2004

Hi Timo,

I am sorry to bug you about this, but I am a bit confused and I have
approx 200 users so I don't want to screw this up. I am using the latest
FC2 Dovecot RPM: dovecot-0.99.10.5-0.FC2. I am using NFS to mount the
/home dirs on the fileserver from the mailserver with mbox. In the docs
you said that I should probably use :INDEX=MEMORY. However I think this
really pushes the server to its limits with large mailboxes (I have
sometimes loads of 8+!). Also I want to use mailaccounts that are shared
by users (to multiple users acces the same mailbox simulateously). If I
write the index file to a location on the filesystem, will this improve
performance and still work with simultaneous logins? Should I upgrade to
version 1.00.something because I read somewhere you rewrote the mbox
functions?

Thanks again,
Jonathan