[Dovecot] not enough information in the syslog

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Oct 14 17:00:56 EEST 2004

On 14.10.2004, at 16:01, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> Although I set `auth_debug = yes' in the dovecot.conf, the line about
> my uid being too low was never logged by the server.

It should give the error even without auth_debug or auth_verbose set:

dovecot: Oct 14 16:49:03 Error: Logins with UID 1000 (user test) not
permitted (see first_valid_uid in config file)
dovecot: Oct 14 16:49:30 Error: Logins with UID 0 not permitted (user
root)

Are you sure you're looking at the right logs? (Does Dovecot write
anything to logs?)