[Dovecot] Detecting unused accounts

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Oct 11 21:54:44 EEST 2004

--On Monday, October 11, 2004 8:19 PM +0300 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>
wrote:

> Probably best would be to check atime of .INBOX/.imap.index file.
> dovecot-uidlist isn't necessarily accessed every time. And if nothing has
> changed in mailboxes, mtime isn't changed from any file.

But watch out when you do backups. I'm using dump, which doesn't affect
atime, but I do use "restore -C" to verify the tape and that does touch
atime. So I temporarily turn off atime on the filesystem while doing the
verify.

Example from my verify script:

/bin/mount -o remount,noatime /boot
$RESTORE -C -l -L $MAXMISCOMPARES -b $BLOCKING -f $DUMPSUBDIR/boot.dump
/bin/mount -o remount,atime /boot

This disables atime updates on the boot partition, verifies the backup for
that partition, and then turns the updates back on.

This is precisely so that I can use atime to monitor for dead mailboxes.