[Dovecot] dovecot and (no) new incomming mail - migration from wu-imapd

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Oct 9 18:42:44 EEST 2004

--On Friday, October 08, 2004 5:44 PM +0200 Götz Reinicke
<goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de> wrote:

> I recently installed dovecot 0.99 on a fedora core 1 Server which used
> the wu-imap-server.

I did the same when moving to FC2. I have this setting in dovecot.conf:

default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u

Note that UW-IMAP roots your mail folder hierarchy at ~, while this Dovecot
setting roots it at ~/mail, so you'll need to change your client
subscriptions to eliminate the "mail" from the top of the hierarchy. Or you
could move the whole tree to ~/mail/mail, but I think that's a worse hack.

I'm using Mulberry for my client, and I set a "wildcard cabinet" of "*"
under "Check Favourites" so that my entire folder hierarchy gets checked
periodically. This is orders of magnitude faster with Dovecot than it was
with UW-IMAP. I'd guess about 2 seconds to check over 100 folders.