[Dovecot] Spaces removed from subjects in FETCH response

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Oct 6 20:05:24 EEST 2004

--On Wednesday, October 06, 2004 6:58 PM +0300 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>
wrote:

> http://www.faqchest.com/prgm/wuimap-l/imap-03/imap-0305/imap-030500/
>
> and "the official conclusion":
>
> http://www.faqchest.com/prgm/wuimap-l/imap-03/imap-0305/imap-030500/
> imap03052307_10796.html

Ah, found it in slightly more digestible form here:

<http://www.washington.edu/imap/listarch/2003/msg00738.html>

> I still don't think it's necessarily such a good idea, but I'd rather
> not break it on purpose. You could anyway fix it by changing sources:
>
> Bottom of lib-imap/imap-quote.c :
>
> 	imap_quote_append(str, value, value_len, TRUE);
>
> change TRUE to FALSE.

I agree, it's useful to preserve the original structure, and subjects
breaking across lines should be the exception. I could see doing white
space collapsing for white space across a line break, but I don't see any
value in doing it mid-line.

It would be great if this could be made a compile-time or config file
setting.

Meanwhile, I'll post back to the Mulberry and SpamAssassin lists about the
issue.