[Dovecot] Enable outlook-idle workaround.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 5 23:53:43 EEST 2004

On 5.10.2004, at 23:28, AWC Maillists wrote:

> Thanks... I did see the entry in dovecot.conf, but it does not exactly
> explain what is does to keep Outlook from doing the idle timeouts.
> More specifically, does this option still cause Outook to generate the
> annoying timeout messages?  Or does it somehow trick Outlook into
> thinking the connection is not idle.
> Also, does enabling this option cause any problems/error message with
> other clients?

Oh, you wanted just details. When this is enabled:

If after 29 minutes of IDLEing client hasn't sent anything, Dovecot
behaves as if a new mail arrived and announces it to client. Usually
clients react to this by stopping the IDLE and fetching information of
the new mail. So, once clients stop IDLE, Dovecot says immediately that
the new mail was just expunged and clients go back IDLEing. So this
just "pings" the client into doing something to check if it's still
there.

I think UW-IMAP does this internally always, but I thought I'd require
all workarounds to be explicitly enabled so future client implementors
can make sure their clients work without any of them.