[Dovecot] Re: 0.99.10.5 release candidate

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun May 30 22:52:52 EEST 2004

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> writes:

> On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 10:21, Matthias Andree wrote:
>> Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> writes:
>>
>> > If you don't use fcntl locking (and with NFS you probably won't), you'd
>>
>> What does this mean? Of course, we'll use fcntl locking with NFS as
>> well. At least on Linux and Solaris, this works.
>
> I thought Linux or BSDs didn't support fcntl locks as NFS client? And
> I've heard they've always been more or less buggy..

FreeBSD 4 supported NFS locks only on the server side, but not on the
client side. FreeBSD 5 is supposed to support client-side locks as well,
but I haven't tried.

Linux has been fine for a long time now (I believe that with ext2/ext3,
NFS has been doing fine since 2.2.12 or so, for other file systems, XFS
and reiserfs in particular, NFS was a problem until late into 2.4).

The point is that NFS locking requires fcntl() and will not work with flock().

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95