[Dovecot] Re: Small change to make dovecot pop3uw-imapmigrationfriendly

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri May 28 19:08:47 EEST 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 05:30:58PM +0400, Oleg I. Vdovikin wrote:
> > The other point is that if you have a global default like this, and one
> day
> > you decide to change from one format to the other, then all POP3 clients
> > will suddenly believe that all the stored mail is new and will download it
> > again.
>     Yes, but I need at least transparent migration from uw-imap to dovecot.
> ;-)

OK. I think what we're saying is that a format string for creating POP3
UIDLs from IMAP UIDs will solve that particular problem, but it doesn't
solve the general problem of migrating from an arbitary POP3 server to
dovecot. I'm more interested in the latter; if you're an ISP and you buy out
another ISP, you want to migrate their mailboxes transparently but the other
ISP could have been running any POP3 server at all.

Regards,

Brian.