[Dovecot] IMAP views - and things to make Outlook Express not suck so much

Geo Carncross geocar-dovecot at internetconnection.net
Thu May 27 02:31:30 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 17:42, Joshua Goodall wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 10:34:36PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 21:43, Geo Carncross wrote:
> > > An idea I had a while back was for IMAP views. It accomplishes the four
> > > things I keep seeing on this list without being specific to any of them.
> >
> > I've thought about something similiar before, but I've mostly just
> > thought about performance and complexity issues with it. Creating a
> > single view from many mailboxes could be slow without some special
> > indexing.
>
> Just as an implementation point; it would be good if the specification
> language was Sieve.

This could require the IMAP server fetch the entire contents of a
message before processing something as simple as a FETCH FLAGS command.

Also, much of sieve would be otherwise useless (fileinto, keep, etc).

It'd also require sieve be available to dovecot, which it isn't (yet).

AS an implementation point, poisoning the IMAP queries would probably be
easier- and currently, wouldn't require any architectural changes
(except to support matching multiple folders).