[Dovecot] Dovecot Questions

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat May 22 05:30:52 EEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 06:02, Adam Kessel wrote:
>   uw-imapd provides a binary /usr/sbin/imapd that can be used for an
>   ssh-imap tunnel.  I found /usr/lib/dovecot/imap (in Debian) which
>   might work as a replacement, except that it appears that running
>   /usr/lib/dovecot/imap doesn't properly read in the configuration
>   file--for example, it is trying to create dotlocks, but in the
>   configuration I have flock.  Is there any way I can do what I want to
>   do here?

imap doesn't read configuration file at all, it expects all it's
configuration to be in environment variables. I've in TODO to make
"dovecot --exec-mail imap" or something like work, which would just read
the config and execute imap process.

For now you could set the config manually, such as MBOX_LOCKS=fcntl. The
environments are only listed in src/master/mail-process.c

> - Dovecot seems to be dying spontaneously in conjunction with
>   SquirrelMail.  Do you have any experience of this?  SquirrelMail ends
>   up reporting that there was no response to the CAPABILITY query.  If I
>   restart Dovecot, everything is fine again.  I don't see anything in the
>   logs to indicate the problem.  Any ideas why this might be happening?

Does it try to use SSL? Probably not.. hmm. It needs a restart to get
working again? Some people have said that they need to restart dovecot
once in a while or it stops responding. I haven't really figured that
out yet. What does ls -l /proc/dovecot-pid/fd/ show then?