[Dovecot] 1.0-test21

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bppiac.hu
Tue Jun 22 13:40:15 EEST 2004

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 22.6.2004, at 01:18, Farkas Levente wrote:
>
>>> 0.99.10 indexes aren't too good, but I still find it a bit strange
>>> that Cyrus takes something like 10x less load. I'd think most of it
>>> has to do with maildir format itself, that it needs to rename files
>>> when flags change, and Dovecot needsTimo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> to resync the whole maildir
>>> after each change in mailbox (and sometimes twice).
>>

>> why should have to resync? couldn't be possible to do one atomic
>> rename and index update step without resync?
>

> But to be interoperable with other maildir clients, Dovecot can't know
> if someone else didn't do other changes within the same second. So it
> has to resync everything.

but if this is the real reason there can be a configuration option where
the sysadm can state "we don't use other maildir clients". since most of
the case that's the situation. and may be some resync can happend when
something goes wrong.

>> as I wrote about half a year the best solution would be a local
>> delivery agent which can update the index files and spread the load to
>> the arrival time instead of the mail read time.
>

> That's also getting near. mbox already updates the mail index when
> saving mails to it, I'll soon fix it to update cache file as well. I'll
> do the same for maildir soon too.

there will be a delivery agent which I can set for postfix and procmail
to use when store mails?

>>> I guess we'll need a IMAP-optimized format sometimes soon.
>>

>> than you've to write local delivery agent for many MTAs...
>

> Not necessarily, it can be maildir-compatible for delivery :)

that's would be amazing!