[Dovecot] Is Dovecot able to use PostgreSQL to store mailboxes?

Xavier Beaudouin kiwi at oav.net
Tue Jun 22 12:39:26 EEST 2004

> Reliability is the reason for me.  We already have acceptable
> performance.
> I'm dealing with a client that provides IMAP services for multiple
> clients, and
> we're concerned about what happens in the event of a server failure on
> the
> machine with the HDDs.  There's already RAID in place, but what if the
> mobo,
> PS, controller ... etc fails.

Allmost everybody has such requirements.

> What I'd like to do is use Postgres with Slony to keep the IMAP
> folders on two
> completely seperate machines in real-time.

What about using Netapps (with snapmirrors or snapsync), then you'll
get a rock stable storage system... and available on all machines in
real-time :p

With maildir and nfs you'll can get a very stable system...

Using database (eg postgres) as storage system can be a good idea
(mostly when you'd like to search something), but when it get corrupted
or fragmented... then you'll have troubles....

This is my 0,02€ ... :)

/Savier

--
Xavier Beaudouin - Unix System Administrator & Projects Leader.
President of Kazar Organization : http://www.kazar.net/