[Dovecot] 1.0-test21

Andrew Boothman andrew at mux.org.uk
Tue Jun 22 07:04:29 EEST 2004

Timo Sirainen wrote:

>> I haven't tested dovecot in a high load (multiuser) environment yet
>> so I can't say much about the actual load in such a situation.
>> But once the indexes are made (and don't break) what's really
>> left to cause (unjustified) load?
>

> With maildir the problem is that once it's modified by Dovecot, I can't
> know if someone else didn't modify it at the same time. So after I
> change anything it, I'll have to resync the whole maildir again, just in
> case.

Might it be possible to have a flag in dovecot's config that would allow
for the case when the only change that could happen to a Maildir is the
writing of a new file into new/?

In other words the only application other than Dovecot with access to
the Maildir is the MTA as it writes new emails into new/? That would
enable Dovecot not to have to concern itself with resyncing other
directories. This would seem to be the common case when a Maildir is
only accessed using IMAP/POP3 in an ISP environment and might provide
performance enhancements until a Dovecot LDA is developed.

Or doesn't that make sense? :)

Andrew