[Dovecot] Is Dovecot able to use PostgreSQL to store mailboxes?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 21 21:24:30 EEST 2004

On 21.6.2004, at 21:04, Bill Moran wrote:

> Subject says it all.
>
> (I'm almost positive this is a FAQ, or that the information is online
> _somewhere_, but I just spent 20 minutes without finding it ... sorry
> if I
> didn't search hard enough)

Well, main Dovecot web page says it:

"Dovecot can work with standard mbox and maildir formats and it's fully
compatible with UW-IMAP and Courier IMAP servers as well as mail
clients accessing the mailboxes directly. I have also plans to support
storing mails in SQL databases."

Still not in my near future plans, although I've had one guy contact me
about making Dovecot use a library derived from dbmail as a backend.

I don't think it's really worth it to store mails in SQL database,
unless you really need to do it for some reason. Performance is most
likely never the reason to do it. Reliability and interoperability
might be.