[Dovecot] POP3 LAST command?

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Wed Jun 16 12:23:56 EEST 2004

Brian wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 03:03:37PM +0900, Christian Balzer wrote:
>> any plans to support this in the future? Seems the inability to
>> use LAST breaks that Yahoo remote mailbox slurper thing, not that
>> I care too much about that, but some mail clients might miss it
>> as well. ;)
>
>This is a prehistoric feature, and I think it's a bad idea to include it.
>
>(It was in RFC1460, removed in RFC1725 *eight* years ago, and the current
>POP3 spec is RFC1939)

That's a good argument to distract the customer with and to make
Yahoo look silly with at the same time. Alas you probably know that
compared to the mighty "But it worked fine for the last 4 years" will
carry a bigger weight in the customers mind.

>All mail clients should be able to use UIDL to detect new mail; LAST was
>removed because it's conceptually broken (i.e. it assumes that conceptually
>your mailbox consists of N read mails followed by M unread mails, which
>often is not the case in real life)

Guess Yahoo doesn't feel like keeping tabs on all those UIDLs. ;)

Regards,

Christian Balzer
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services