[Dovecot] Return (revenge?) of the "pop-lock".

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Wed Jun 16 12:19:02 EEST 2004

Timo wrote:
>On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 08:48, Christian Balzer wrote:
[exclusive fcntl() lock for index file ...]

>Right. That's one annoying thing with 0.99.10 index code, slow readers
>will block others from accessing the mailbox. There's not much you can
>do except disable indexes, which would lose cached message sizes and
>slow down POP3 a lot.

Not worth the hit given the far smaller number of "victims" compared
to the qpopper lock.

>The default timeout it 5 minutes already I think, so I'm not sure if
>growing it would help much.

If anything I might configure it lower, since most clients will have
given up waiting for a response from the server after 5 minutes anyway. ;)

Regards and thanks for the insight,

Christian Balzer
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services