[Dovecot] Wishlist item, POP3 welcome message

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jun 15 05:17:58 EEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 11:26, Christian Balzer wrote:
> With qpopper you get something like this after a successful login:
> ---
> +OK test has 6 visible messages (0 hidden) in 11822 octets.
> ---

With Dovecot the "+OK" is currently sent by pop3-login process which
doesn't yet know that.. I don't think this feature alone is worth the
trouble to move it over to pop3 process. Especially because there is the
STAT command :)

> Another thing would be PIPELINING for POP3, but I doubt it's all that
> helpful in this day and age of bountiful broadband.

Actually you can support that simply by adding PIPELINING to POP3
capability list. It's already in CVS.

Except there's one theoretical(?) problem with it.. pop3-login doesn't
transfer buffered data to pop3 process. This means that if something was
sent before PASS or AUTH command was finished, it gets lost. I'd think
clients wouldn't try sending anything else until they were sure the
authentication was finished, but I guess this has to be fixed some day.