[Dovecot] auth failure

jb at weitan.org jb at weitan.org
Fri Jun 11 10:29:11 EEST 2004

> My guess is that the next step in security is to go for imaps and ssl
> configuration.  But my debian installation doesn't appear to have the
> dovecot-openssl.cnf file referenced in the configuration.txt file.

> Is this missing from dovecot or am I looking at a debian problem?
No debian neither dovecot problem.

protocols =  imap imaps
Be sure to have certificate for dovecot (Debian should create a default one)
ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem

I prefer to split up the pem file into crt and key and to use one of my
own certificates created with my CA, but you can also buy one... if you
like (verisign, thawte)
ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/my_own_cert.crt
ssl_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/my_own_private.key
Check if the port does accept connection and if you can see the certificate:
openssl s_client -connect localhost:993 (imaps port)
That should do it.
(you bitch! ;-))