[Dovecot] bleah

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Fri Jun 11 05:16:26 EEST 2004

Tom Allison wrote:
> Not to be a bitch, but I've asked several times about some basic
> questions or examples to clarify the essentials for configuration.

I have to apologize to the group for my rather untidy outburst.

With a few good pointers from Timo and another session with the Fine
manuals, I've managed to get everything working correctly (I think).

I also hope to get the opportunity this weekend to write up some of my
notes on the configuration process to make a contribution.  I can
document a lot of mistakes not to make!

But right now, it's looking really good!

I've worked out a rather minimalist configuration with md5 hash
passwords over plaintext authentication.  The passwords are in postgres
and the user information is in /etc/passwd.  For now, this lets everyone
one the machine have an account that they can manage, but the passwords
are distinctly seperated from the shell login passwords.

I haven't gotten to the virtual user stuff yet as I don't quite know how
I'm going to tie all of that into some procmail rules I have for filtering.

I also have nothing regarding shared files, but it appears I have to do
some more of that Fine reading on symlinks before I get there.

Many thanks to those who haven't /dev/null-ed me on their mail servers!