[Dovecot] Supporting POP & IMAP with Sendmail

Villalovos, John L john.l.villalovos at intel.com
Thu Jun 3 20:20:07 EEST 2004

John Duino wrote:
> That was the one question I haven't had answered (and it's
> mostly just out of pure paranoia that I ask it :)

Yes.  POP email works fine with Maildir for me.  I am using
dovecot-0.99.10.5-1 which was on the development tree of Fedora.  Though
I would think the one that came stock with Fedora 2 should work as well.
I have no reason to think it won't.

One note.  I don't use POP that much.  I have one person who uses it and
they haven't complained.

> So if all the mail is moved to Maildir (thus eliminating the typical
> mailspool), and somebody pop's onto the server, Dovecot will use the
> Maildir/Inbox for the pop?

Yes it will.  If you read the mail-storages.txt documentation file it
talks about it.  I would read the section on "Detecting what to use".

I did NOT set the default_mail_env variable in my /etc/dovecot.conf and
it figured it out automagically :)

Good luck,
John